An easy solution to the Israeli Palestinian conflict
In the most pessimistic statement since the US Secretary of State John Kerry re-launched ‘talks’ between the Israelis and the Palestinians in July 2013, he told reporters on Friday (04 April 2014), it was “reality-check time” for all involved in the Israeli Palestinian discussions. “It is regrettable that in the last few days both sides have taken steps that are not helpful and that’s evident to everybody” he said.
Israelis won’t release the last batch of prisoners that was agreed upon before the start of these talks unless the Palestinian Authority guarantees not to seek membership of the 15 UN bodies for at least a further 8 months beyond the 29 April 2014 deadline. That’s almost like abusing someone and then threatening if you go to the police then we’ll be even worse to you! The US’s role as a ‘honest broker’ in this matter is equally preposterous – imagine going to the police and saying this person has stolen my car and is refusing to give it back to me and the police saying “well, we know he’s stolen it but he’s had it for a while now, how would he get by without it? Don’t lodge a case, you guys talk over it”.
So what are these 15 UN bodies that Israel and the US are adamant that the Palestinians should not apply to become members of ?:
1. The Four Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 and the First Additional Protocol
2. The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations
3. The Vienna Convention on Consular Relations
4. The Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the Involvement of Children in armed conflict
5. The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
6. The Hague Convention (IV) respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land and its annex: Regulations Concerning the Laws and Customs of War on Land
7. The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
8. The Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties
9. The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
10. The Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
11. The United Nations Convention against Corruption
12. The Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide
13. The International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid
14. The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
15. The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
As South Africans, the apartheid State of Israel absolutely reminds us of the South African apartheid regime’s;  displacement of South Africa’s indigenous people to designated ‘non-white’ townships in terms of the Group Areas Act;  indefinite detention without trial of South Africa’s indigenous people;  torture and extra-judicial killings;  disproportionate use of force against South Africa’s indigenous people;  deliberate restriction and control of basic education to South Africa’s indigenous children specifically so that they can be subjugated; etc.
Actually the practical solution to the Israeli Palestinian conflict is quite simple: The only viable alternate to apartheid in Israel, is a ‘One State Solution’ (whether it is called the State of Israel or the State of Palestine) with ‘One Man One Vote’ which must necessarily include the right of return for all Palestinian refugees and where ‘all are equal’ with equal entrenched opportunities.
To Mahmoud Abaas and the Palestinian Authority, here is some food for thought: Leaving a legacy of emancipating Palestinians from being perpetually reliant on Israel and the US to pay for its daily needs is much more rewarding than selling-out by receiving generous handouts and thus being able to pay all your collaborators on time plus the glamorous ‘all expense paid five star’ talks around the world that you are lured into.
Granted that initially it is not going to be easy, but rest assured it is worth it.